Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Waiting

Wow. I just realized I'm waiting for just about everything!
~waiting to reach my goal weight
~waiting for final edits from my agent
~waiting for my 17 year old to go to college (it's a year and a half away, but I'm still waiting)
~waiting for an interview for a job I've been craving
~waiting for spring
~waiting for my muse to help me get 10k into this damn new WIP so I know it will stick.
Because that's how I know a new project will stick. If I get 10-13k in it's a winner.  And when I reach 20K I can't stop writing. I'm obsessed until it's finished. But that first 10K? Like the first five minutes on a treadmill. Just stinky and not fun at ALL.

How about you my writing friends? How long does it take you to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop... I mean... to realize you are on the right track with a project?

S

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I think once you've reached the 10k mark, it gets easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting can be such a hard place! And an exciting place. I think it's one of the things that develops us the most, though.

    I'd say 10-15K, too, but I wrote 40K words on a manuscript in late 2009 and early 2010 and quit. My heart wasn't in it. It hurt a lot to face that! I tried to force it for a while, but it just wouldn't happen. But I'm glad I quit now, because the one I finished in November is so much better and so much more where I needed to be writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @amanda: you know it! I'm on page six. Crud.
    @Julie: WOW! What a hard thing... but so strong of you to notice and move on. I sure wish I'd done that with my novel number two... would have saved me a LOT of heart ache!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I can come up with a compelling outline and synopsis, I'm pretty confident I can make a project stick. If I have *fun* with writing the synopsis, even better.

    (I know, I know...we outliners give you the hives. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still not experienced enough to say for sure...but I made it to 7K today on something new and hope I can get another K in tomorrow. I think I'll just tell myself that I have to get to 10K. And then, well, I have to finish. Gee, only another 60 or 70K to go! Thanks for helping me set some goals!

    ReplyDelete